Nils Edmund Berndt Friberg (1899-1981) was born in Höganäs, Sweden. At the age of thirteen, he began an apprenticeship at Höganäs Pottery while simultaneously attending a technical school. During his 18 years at Höganäs, he became quite an accomplished thrower.
In 1934, he was hired as a thrower for the Swedish ceramic artist Wilhelm Kåge at the Gustavsberg porcelain factory. Kåge, who was the artistic director, became a mentor and friend to Friberg. He also worked closely with ceramist Stig Lindberg, whom eventually succeeded Kåge as artistic director. Friberg was hugely influenced by Japanese and Chinese art, and followed in their tradition of applying his glazes by hand, often layering them, to achieve structure and depth in his pieces.
In 1944, Friberg opened his own studio in Gustavsberg’s Studio, known simply as G-Studio. Friberg continued to work at the Gustavsberg factory until he passed away in 1981.
Throughout his life, Friberg independently produced thousands of hand-thrown and hand-glazed pieces, which ranged from miniatures to monumental vases. He was known for being a perfectionist and did not keep pieces which were not to his satisfaction. Because Friberg started as a thrower, rather than as a designer, his work is known for its technical perfection, simplicity of form and glaze, and attention to fine detail. He focused primarily on throwing simple but graceful forms, monochromatic and unpatterned “hares fur” glazes.