Franz Heinrich started his porcelain painting company in Selb, Bavaria in 1896. Initially, Heinrich bought whiteware from local porcelain factories, but in 1901 he started to produce his own porcelain. Under his leadership, the Porzellanfabrik Heinrich Selb developed into one of the most important manufacturers in Germany. Franz Heinrich died in 1928.
In 1929 Heinrich & Co took over and in the 1930s there were 500 employees in the Heinrich factory. After the Second World War, Heinrich was the first porcelain producer in West Germany to resume production. In 1976 Heinrich & Co. became a part of Villeroy & Boch.